The New York Post has published a political cartoon that shows President Obama as a bullet-ridden chimpanzee laying dead in the streets while two cops with gun are standing over him, one saying "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

I look at this and think that's it's a person's view of the disdain the public will show if Obama's stimulus bill doesn't help the economy, referring to a chimpanzee who mauled a woman just a day ago. I see the link clearly; a beloved animal who the mass public now sees as dangerous to the population rather than cute being compared to the current White House administration who many see as a redeemers to the US but if his bill doesn't work and hurts the economy he will be seen under the same light as the harmful chimp.

Not once did I think to scream "RACISM!" or even whisper it under my breath. I don't think it's because I'm naive, as some would have me think, I think it's because I'm not looking for it. I'm not looking for a way to make the world see there are still racists there and President Obama didn't heal the world by taking the oath of office we all know they are there.

The Al Sharptons and the Jesse Jacksons of the world are the reason people see this as racist, because they have us hunting for the bad in people rather than taking a cartoon for face value. Until they fight for people's rights and stop fighting for their publicity we will have arguments like this one.

Now, I do find the cartoon to be rather unfunny and not very thought provoking thus making it not very useful as to what political cartoons are for. All that said, I do not believe the NYP should issue a public apology or a retraction.

UPDATE: I sleep during the day so during REM I missed this:

In a statement, Post Editor-in-Chief Col Allan said: "The cartoon is a clear parody of a current news event, to wit the shooting of a violent chimpanzee in Connecticut. It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy. Again, Al Sharpton reveals himself as nothing more than a publicity opportunist."

-Good for you Mr. Allan.
This entry was posted on 12:10 AM and is filed under , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: