Technology Rules My Life
3:20 PM | Author:
My post today on ties is about the tie or noose that technology has around my neck. I'm sure y'all can relate at least a little.

I want to start with a story about this blog to prove my point. At the beginning of the month I got excited about the possibility of blogging more due to the abundance of time I have at my current job. So I started writing and writing and writing; it was like I couldn't stop because the muse was with me. This lead to an abundance of blogs. So I set them up to be distributed throughout the upcoming week and was excited that I may keep up this month's NaBloPoMo. I let the blog sit, relying on Google's technology to properly post my blogs. Much to my surprise I got a comment with a wonderful note about not being disheartened about not making NaBloPoMo and to keep up the writing. I became furious that all that work just sat there and I had failed due to my complete reliance on technology. (Fear not Andi I will keep writing.)

I let technology rule my life 24/7. I set my BlackBerry alarm to wake me up every day even though I have an alarm clock right next to my bed. Everywhere I go I check in on foursquare. I Twitter, I FaceBook and now I Buzz. My laptop travels everywhere in my car with me. Someone says they are unsure of a fact, BAM! I Wikipedia it. Someone talks about a restaurant in the area but can't remember the name, BAM! I Google it. I just can't help not knowing when the answer is easily available. I have turned around after being halfway to work (a 45min drive) because I forgot my phone, and what the heck would I do WITHOUT MY BLACKBERRY!

My wife suggested I give up texting for Lent this year and I laughed at her because I don't really text that much. I know it looks that way but I'm almost always checking Twitter or FaceBook, leaving comments, emailing, tweeting, posting pictures and sometimes even blogging.

Everything I do, everywhere I go there is some form of unnecessary technology that grabs me. I really don't think I would have a quality life without these things. Maybe it's because I am an attention whore, maybe it's because I have an addictive personality or maybe it's just because we live in an age where all this is possible and I want to take advantage of it all. Whatever it is, I just don't want to be without my BlackBerry or an internet connection.
This entry was posted on 3:20 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On 2/10/2010 9:39 PM , Andi said...

I am in the same boat as you, cannot live without it. P.S. I think you need to update my blog link in your blog roll you are probably using my blogspot url, it's not just straight www.misadventureswithandi.com

I won't give up on you!

 
On 2/10/2010 9:47 PM , Beave said...

Fixed!